GDP takes no account of health, wellbeing or environmental criteria and even counts such things as expenditure on prisons as positive, so it is a daft criterion with which to measure progress, as France now recognises.
With reference to this posting, MSP Bill Wilson has congratulated President Sarkozy on moving to implement recommendations by leading progressive economists to move away from GDP. Dr Wilson’s motion also called on the Scottish and UK governments to follow France’s lead and encourage other governments to do so too.
1. Please have a look at Dr Wilson’s press release (and the links at the bottom).
2. Then, if you live in Scotland, find out who your MSPs are (type your postcode in here).
3. Go and check whether they have supported Dr Wilson’s motions by looking for their names at the bottom of it here.
4. Write to those who have to thank them, and to the others to ask them to support it. Even a quick email to just one of them will help raise awareness. (The link given in (2) will also direct you to their contact details, if you click through on their names.)
5. If you don’t live in Scotland please at least direct your Scottish friends to this web page. The short link is: http://tinyurl.com/endgdp.
You might also consider asking your MP (or other representative) to lay down a similar motion.