[UPDATE: Since posting this I have been anonymously emailed a small and a large version of the relevant image. I cannot advocate what is possibly an illegal activity, but then neither can I stop you printing these out and sticking them on RBS ATMs! You must follow your conscience. ]
I just spotted this on an RBS ATM. Great idea, I think, drawing attention to the Royal Bank of Scotland’s appalling use of our money (it’s 83% owned by UK taxpayers).
I have transcribed what the poster says and linked its “options” to relevant information:
Select your transaction:
- Invest in the destruction of sacred indigenous lands in Canadian wilderness
- Invest in dirty, cheap energy solutions that bring about climate change
- Invest in arms industry with vested interests in perpetuating war
- Fund exorbitant executive bonuses help buy more yachts and villas
- Invest in the lobbying of politicians
- Move to a more ethical bank
At the bottom of the detachable poster there’s a statement that reads: “We hope you found this message instructive and amusing. To use this ATM simply lift it off the screen. We would be very grateful if you would replace it afterwards to give the next user a laugh. Many thanks!”
By the way, the RBS also charges its poorest customers to access other banks’ ATMs. It’s not the only bank that does this, but if you consider all the other things it does, it would seem reasonable to call it a thoroughly nasty institution, and WE own it!