I support the new HAIR definition of racism in full, including the examples. #HAIRdef
Racism is defined as:
- The belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority.
- Abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief.
(So far, so uncontroversial. The above is the definition of racism according to Collins Concise Dictionary.)
Examples of racism:
- Unqualified support for the government of the settler-colonial-apartheid state of Israel and its racist policies.
- Support for, or adoption, of the full IHRA definition of anti-Semitism and the examples appended to it.
What to do now:
If you approve of this definition, please share this post. Use the hashtag #HAIRdef and state which country you reside in (see Footnote 4.)
- HAIR = Hate Apartheid Israel’s Racism
- There is no credible biological basis for the concept of human races.
- More than 40 Jewish groups oppose the IHRA definition of anti-Semitism. Jewish Voice for Peace states:
Of particular concern is the usage of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) definition of antisemitism, intentionally worded such that it equates legitimate criticisms of Israel and advocacy for Palestinian rights with antisemitism, as a means to suppress the former.
4. Following the example of the BBC’s coverage of the IHRA definition of anti-Semitism, we shall describe the HAIR definition of racism as ‘internationally accepted’ as soon as we have people/organisations in more than a couple of countries proclaiming support for it. (For more on the mass media’s coverage of this issue, see Damning evidence of ‘misleading’, ‘distorted’ and ‘inaccurate’ reporting on the Labour antisemitism row.)